Friday 24 April 2015


Since the beginning of my crochet journey I haven't been able to find a technique to make a block object with defined edges and/or having to stitch multiple sides together afterwards. I've tried asking around and searching the internet with no answers sadly.

So I set it upon myself to find a way. I have to say firstly that by no means have I found the perfect method but I definitely like it more than any method I've found so far.

I started by making my basic square starting with:

R1: 4SC magic circle
R2: (SC, 2CH, SC) into same SC x 4
R3: (1SC, (SC, 2CH, SC) into 2CH gap, 1SC)x4

From there I use the equation (*N, 1SC, (SC, 2CH, SC) into 2CH gap, 1SC, *N)x4

SC: single crochet
CH: chain
*N starts at 1SC, and goes up by an increment of 1SC for each row. Using this equation you can make a square as large as you'd like. 

This is where I start my trial and error. I know that in order to achieve the defined edge you need to start doing SCs in the back loop; but using this method I always get a jog where the back loop SCs started.
The same job would occur when I started back looped for the bottom.
It is very unsightly for me even though I'm sure some people won't mind as it can only be seen on one side. The other three sides look perfect.

From there I tried a method without using the back loops as I knew it wouldn't leave the horrible jog and it turned out okay, I just prefer a definable edge whereas these were soft.
From a photo its really hard to tell this even has shape but in person it is more obvious it's a block.
This method would be good for those who like softer edges, its all about preference. This is also the easiest method to do.

The last method was the one I was most satisfied with as it had the defined edges of the first block without the jogs which also resulted in it being the only one that didn't rock on a flat surface. This is also the most time consuming method.
To achieve this I finished off and cut my square when I got to the desired size. I then started to SC in the back loop where I would normally start for the first row. When reaching the desired height I would do the same; finish off and cut, starting again in the back loop for the first row. Note that the bottom looks a little concave because I didn't stuff it well.

I am quite impatient when it comes to cutting and starting again so would love to learn a method that doesn't involve this. I welcome any advice or methods that can help.

I didn't show a complete pattern as this wasn't a tutorial but more an entry showing my trial and errors as it's not perfect. 

Hope you are all having a fantastic day.
Happy Crafting,
Kim~ 
Categories: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment